Thursday, December 30, 2004

First Grade Teacher...kind of.

I have a job!

I never really wrote much about this, but two weeks ago, I had an interview for a first grade position at the elementary school in Irving that I attended. My interview was great, and I heard that the principal really liked me, but after a couple weeks went by without hearing anything, I had basically written it off.

Today I finally heard from the principal at Lively, and he offered me the job! However, I won't be starting as the teacher just yet. I will be long term subbing for the class until March, when the teacher will turn in her resignation. Apparently she has enough sick days saved up to last her until then. When she resigns, I will be the official teacher.

There are a couple of really good things about doing this instead of signing a contract immediately. One is that because of the situation, I'll actually be getting paid much more than a regular sub. It'll be a little bit less than a teacher, and without benefits, but it's better than doing regular subbing. Another good thing is that I'll have a couple of months to test it out, and if I don't like it, I don't necessarily have to stay, because I won't have signed a contract yet. I do, however, have every intention of staying on.

I'm not exactly sure yet when I'll start, because the principal is still working things out with the Personnel office of the school district. There's a long term sub in the class right now, and I think he has to either give her notice or move her into another place. I should find out when I start very soon, and when I do, I'll let you know. Thanks for the prayers and the support!

7 comments:

Becca said...

YEA!!! I'm so excited for you. Those are some lucky kids to get to have you as a teacher. I hope it all goes well. I'll be praying for you. Talk to you soon.

Val said...

Congratulations! Although, I guess I have to officially give up any hope of getting you back on my praise team...

Holly said...

Congratulations! I am very proud of you. Keep us posted! :)

RPorche said...

Hey! Awesome news! Sounds like it will be a good situation. I'm so excited for you. Congratulations! This is a great answer to lots of prayers!

FeedingYourMind said...

WOO HOO! Walker got a job at the school that I vote at! You know what THAT means! She'll be right down the street from me! WOO HOO! ;)

Anonymous said...

Congrats-- Great news! They are lucky to have you. I'll be looking forward to more "kid stories"!

--Laura

Katie said...

You are in BIG trouble, missus! I can't BELIEVE it is January 4, and I am JUST now hearing this news!!! Congratulations!! I am tempted to sneak into the school and pose as a 1st grader so you can be my teacher. I wonder if there has ever in history been a 5'10" 6-year-old? Oh well. You will do great!