Thursday, January 13, 2005

Welcome to the Real World!

Today I got to go up to the school and meet the kids who will be my class starting tomorrow. Actually, I didn't really get to meet them. I just got to watch them while they stared at me and asked the sub who I was. It was interesting. Basically, my background check took a really long time to go through (thanks to the good folks in Taylor County,) so I wasn't able to actually teach the kids today, or even tell them that I was going to be their teacher. I think they didn't want the kids to know about it in case for some reason my background check came back and showed me to be some kind of criminal. It finally came through this afternoon, and lucky for me it wasn't very thorough! Just kidding. Not even a speeding ticket here. At that, not even a parking ticket from the ACU cops, thank you VERY much! So, I get to start teaching tomorrow.

My kids seemed very sweet, but I'm sure they'll be a handful...as any first grade class would be. Supposedly I have the best first grade class, which is a good thing (obviously.) I only have sixteen kids, which is excellent for instruction. The classroom very definitely isn't mine, but I'm hoping to slowly take down the stuff from the other teacher and put my stuff up so I'll have a little bit more ownership. I already went and bought several things for the class today. I'm a little worried about getting into the swing of things with lesson plans and stuff, but I'm sure it will all work out. I can tell already that being a teacher is going to be much more demanding than being a student teacher! My next few weekends will be spent up at the school, no doubt. There are a few kids that seem really funny already, so hopefully I'll have some good stories for you in the near future!

Have a wonderful weekend, and thanks for reading!

No comments: