Friday, July 15, 2005

The Not-so-Charming Prince

I'm sorry it's been awhile since I've posted. I hate when I check people's blogs and they don't update for weeks at a time. It's such a let-down. I'm sorry to disappoint you, but it appears that I am now one of those people. It's summer, and there just isn't all that much going on. I'm extremely thankful for all that nothing, though. It's so nice to wake up and not have anything critical that must be accomplished that day. You know the feeling.

Anyway, I did want to let you know that I made a discovery tonight. As my roommate and I were talking (which is rare, because we're never home at the same time,) I was flipping channels. Bailey suddenly started barking, which she usually only does when someone is at the door. We didn't know what was wrong, but eventually she stopped. She was fine for awhile, but about 30 minutes later she started barking just like she had before. I was wondering what the deal was, and as I looked up at the TV screen, the connection between the two violent barking fits became tragically obvious. The same thing that was on TV 30 minutes earlier had come on again.

It was, and I kid you not, the theme song for Fresh Prince of Bel-Air.

I thought that it must be some kind of coincidence, but just to make sure, I changed the channel and she immediately quit. I switched it back, and she started barking again. I tried this three or four times, each time with the same result. There was no denying it. There was something about that song that Bailey was not "down with." (To use some ghetto-speak.)

I'll admit that at first, I was a bit upset. I have always been a fan of Will Smith's early rap career...you know, with DJ Jazzy Jeff. In fact, I have one of their songs on a CD in my car right now. Don't ask. My roommate pointed out that some dogs don't like black people, (although I'm not exactly sure where she got that information from.) Surely, though, my dog is not racist. She's brown herself, and I know she wouldn't like to be discriminated against for her German anscestry or abnormally elongated back. I thought for a split second that the problem might be the "Fresh Prince" himself, but then I remembered that Hitch is one of Bailey's favorite movies, so that couldn't be it either. The next thing that came to mind was perhaps she just didn't like the song, so I rapped a couple verses for her myself, and she actually seemed to enjoy it. (I'm a skilled rapper. Just ask any of my Big Time friends.)

"So, where does that leave us?" you're probably wondering. I'm not actually sure. The only things I can think of that she might not like are 1) the neon colors of the credits, or 2) rap music in general. I'm thinking that tomorrow I may download a song by Bow Wow (the artist formerly known as Lil Bow Wow,) or Snoop Dogg to see how she feels about that. I'm pretty sure they rap--and they have canine-friendly names--so maybe if it's rap that Bailey has a problem with, we can kind of ease her into it. I won't lie...I've been known to enjoy a few radio-edited Eminem songs in my day, and I just don't know that I can tolerate a dog who refuses to appreciate the art of rap music.

If you have any ideas about what Bailey's problem could possibly be, please let me know. We need to get her some help, and quickly. I don't want her turning into another little Sandy Riggs (bless his heart,) who howls when he hears any kind of singing at all. Any ideas you may have that can contribute to a diagnosis are greatly appreciated.

5 comments:

Katey said...

You kill me. Just admit that your dog is racist! I'm kidding... but maybe she is just trying to sing (or rap) along. Who knows... you could become rich off the amazing, rapping dog Bailey. She would have to get a better name... there is no street cred with Bailey.

Katie said...

Ruff, ruff. Sandy appreciates his internet shout-out, but he is a bit offended by the manner in which his name was used. I happen to know that Sandy finds rap music crump; it's just songs with lots of high notes that bother him. He can't handle any Justin or Mariah... or Beethoven or Bach.

Debbie said...

WOOF, WOOF, WOOF!!!! Woof, woof....ruff, ruff, ruff! Woof, woof, rrrrrrrrr RUFFFF! ~Sandy

Katie said...

Well, sorry I won't be barking in this comment, but I just wanted to say Hi and thanks for always commenting on my xanga! I hope your summer is going well and that it's relaxing! Love you!
Katie

Ellison said...

Let me just say that I would pay money to see you rap the theme song from "Fresh Prince" to your dog! I can only picture this and I'm laughing at my desk right now. I doubt Bailey is racist. My diagnoses is that she probably just has better taste than to watch "Fresh Prince." Try her out on some Snoop, Eminem, or 50Cent but please, whatever you do...no Bow Wow!