As those of you who read my blog already know, I don't really talk about politics. Actually, I don't talk about politics at all. I seem to remember one or two times during the 2004 race when I said that I like George W. Bush, but that's pretty much the extent of it. The reason I don't talk about politics is because I don't know anything about politics. So really, I probably shouldn't have even endorsed Bush. I do know that my grandpa really likes him and is completely disgusted by the Democratic party. I really like (love) my grandpa. Also, George W. appears to be a good man and is from our great state. (Honestly, I did more research than that, but not a whole lot.) Anyway, this post doesn't really have much to do with Bush, so I'm not exactly sure how I got off on that tangent. Oh yes...politics. As you read what I'm about to say, remember that I know little to nothing about politics. If I seem ignorant, it's because I am. I'm a passionate ignorant, though.
A few weeks ago, I read Blue Like Jazz. I'm pretty sure I haven't mentioned that to y'all yet. ;o) During that same week, I was bombarded from all around me by issue after issue of social injustice. One of those places was in the book, one was on Oprah, another was a recommendation of "Hotel Rwanda" by a friend, and yet another was a link to the Darfur website that I ran across. Also that week, my dad told me a story that a Nigerian man from my home church told him. He said that five of the men in Nigeria posess 80% of all the country's wealth. Any one of those men could completely wipe out the national debt of Nigeria. Rather than using their money for good, they continue to oppress the poor. As long as they can keep poverty rampant in the country, they will continue to be in control. It was a really bad week.
I absolutely hated reading about, hearing about, and seeing all of the terrible things going on in the world, much of it happening right now as I'm sitting on my pink comforter typing in this ridiculous blog. I hate the fact that there is seemingly nothing I can do about it. One site I visited asked for volunteers to get petitions signed or write to the President. Will that really help? One asked for money to educate more people about the problem. Will that solve the problem? I don't think so. I want to DO something. But what can I do? I'm so small! I know I can pray, (which is the most I can do, I've been told, rather than "the least I can do,") but in a situation like this, it seems that even prayer is in vain. Will my prayers stop the genocide in the Sudan? Will they prevent another famine from beginning? Will they put an end to parents prostituting their own children?
I know I'm not the only one struggling with this. What I hear from fellow Christians trying to rationalize why terrible things happen is that the Lord has a plan for situations like these. While he certainly doesn't cause them, there's some reason why he doesn't end them. I suppose I can buy that, because no one knows what would've happened if the Holocaust had been divinely stopped dead in it's tracks before so many were killed, or what else could be going on in Africa right now if the terrible slayings in Rwanda had not occured. We just don't have a clue.
Even hearing that, it's still hard. I still want to call up George right now and tell him to get his butt over to the Sudan and take care of that mess. He's pretty much the only one human who can do anything to physically prevent it. Obviously not George himself, but his orders. Then again, I don't really know how the whole approval process works for doing that kind of thing (which is where the whole political ignorance part comes in.) I hear that it has to be approved, and that his cabinet makes the decisions or something like that. I don't know. I have never been anti-war. (Not that I'm pro-war, either.) Now, however, I'm beginning to ask the question, "Why the heck are we over in Iraq when we could be in Darfur, saving thousands of completely innocent people from being slain?" They can't defend themselves. We've done the job in Iraq of taking down the bad guy. Couldn't our troops be put to better use in Africa?
I was talking with a couple of my friends the other day, and one of them said the reason that we aren't doing anything about it is because it's Africa. I'd never really thought about that before, but I can see truth in that. I don't think she meant it's because they're black, but I interpreted it as being because much of Africa is undeveloped and, seemingly to some, uncivilized. Many of the people there live very differently from the way we live here. She said that if genocide like this was happening in Europe, we'd be doing something about it. I agree with that. I mean, look at the Holocaust. I know WWII was about more than just that, but still...we did something about it. Also, we don't need anything from Africa. We don't depend on them for our oil supply. How would it help us to help them? Surely there's more to it than that. I don't know what that "more" is, though.
This ranting may sound like trend, with the G-8 summit coming up and Live 8 this past Saturday and all, but really, this has been on my heart for awhile. In fact, when I was really struggling with this a few weeks ago I hadn't even heard of G8. I am thankful that Tony Blair has dedicated this entire meeting to the crisis in Africa. Acknowledging the fact that there is a terrible problem in Africa with poverty, AIDS, and the situation in the Sudan is the first step. I hope that they approve the $26 Billion for aid, or whatever amount it is. It won't solve the problem of injustice around the world, but it will be a start. Injustice won't be stopped until hearts are changed. I know that money can't change hearts, but it will keep people alive.
So what am I supposed to do with all of this? Is there any way I can make a difference instead of just standing by and watching? It grieves me to know about all of the junk going on. Things were alot easier for me before my eyes were opened to it all. That's not how God would want it, though. Now that I know about it, it's my responsibility to do something. Now that you know about it, it's also yours. It's not just the genocide in Darfur. It's not just the AIDS epidemic or the potential famine. It's also the anarchy in Haiti. It's the children who are forced to be soldiers and to smile while they are murdering. It's the homeless in Abilene. The global community seems to be coming together to send a message to these world leaders that something needs to be done in Africa. As Christians, aren't we called to so much more?
It isn't really about politics at all. It also isn't just about Africa. It's about loving people and the value of human life. This pretty much ends my rambling, but it's just something that I'm feeling REALLY strongly, so I figured I might as well blog about it. If you have any ideas of what we can DO, drop a comment. If you have a solution to the problem, I'd like to hear that, too. (Actually, I know of a solution, but that brings it's own problems.) In the meantime, let's pray. Pray for the G-8 summit tomorrow. Pray for Africa. Pray for hearts that will be softened. Pray that we continue to be aware of social injustices. Pray confidently and with faith. Lives can be changed, and worlds can be healed. Instead of dwelling on the things you don't have (like a pink iPod mini,) be thankful for the blessings you've been given! And if you're also wanting to get involved politically, go here.
This Saturday’s Recipes by The Pioneer Woman
6 years ago
11 comments:
As someone else is definitely not pro-war, but who has been forced to dwell on the pros and cons of Iraq, as well as the sacrifices that it has caused, there is a point. Stories from my brother and so many others make me believe that we ARE doing something over in Iraq and Afghanistan. The news will never show that, the media will never promote that... but it's happening.
The analogy that best exemplifies it to me is the story of an abused child. You can take an abused child away from a parent, and that stops that abuse, but abuse itself is a cycle. If you don't invest time, money, tears, and prayers in that broken child, he/she will just find another abuser because that is the only thing they know. They will always seek out the abuser, not because they want to be abused, but because that is all they know. You have to teach them that they are worth it. The Iraqis want freedom, they want government, they appreciate the Americans and what they have done. But there are a few who would rather abuse power and not allow freedom, and those are the ones we hear about. The insurgents are the ones who are trying to abuse the power vaccuum left by Sadaam Hussein. We are doing something over there, we are protecting these vulnerable people and showing them that they are worth the time, effort, and money it takes for them to realize that they deserve freedom just as much as you and I. While over there, our troops are also building roads, fixing infrastructure, teaching the people how to run their cities better. They are building orphanages, working at schools, and teaching children to read. These are things that my brother was involved in when he wasn't working. Our men and women are doing things.
Now, I agree that Africa is a very sad situation, and I also agree that part of the reason we aren't doing anything is because it is Africa. But, that isn't all of it. Africa is hard, because of its government structure, the fact that tribes still run most areas, and the third world nature of large portions of the continent. None of this is to say that they don't deserve our help, because they do. There are just many, many obstacles to overcome.
JWalk, I appreciate your heart, and the fact that your eyes have been opened lately to these tragedies. I agree that as a Christian, we are in a quandry. Do we stay here and give money and pray? Or do we try to go and do something? It's hard, and I think that you hit the nail on the head. Praying is not the least we can do, it is what to do. I struggle with thinking that praying is a passive way of dealing with things, but it isn't. The only thing passive about prayer is watching God work. Because God is extremely active in answering prayers, and what He can and will do dwarfs any of our miniscule efforts otherwise.
The other thing we can do is help where we live. There are not just tragedies going on in Africa. There are tragedies in Irving, Nashville, and Abilene. You see those children everyday at your job just like I do. And not just children. There are so many things you can be involved in locally that help just as much as "doing" something for Africa. The towns we live in need the love, grace, and peace of the Lord shown to them just as much as those in other countries.
I hope you know that I mean none of this as preaching at you, or belittling. I REALLY appreciate your heart, and your frustration with the lack of what is being done. But, change starts with one person, and it doesn't have to be GW Bush. You can create a change from which the ripples will never end. Thank you for reminding me of what we are called to be as God's people, and for reminding me of why this job that I have is so special and worth it. I love you!
PS Sorry this is so long!
I know this isn't my place to address comments by other people to other people's blog...but I don't care! ;) And since I know you both, I don't care that I'm doing it even more! ;) Tee hee hee!
First, I must say JWalk...I agree with just about everything you said in your blog! I too am a very ignorant and non-interested person when it comes to politics, however, I think like I think you mentioned, a lot of what you're talking about isn't so much politics.
As for the idea that part of the reason why it appears that Americans don't do much in Africa is because it is in fact "Africa" I think does sadly somewhat revolve around the fact that it is majority black, which sadly enough can be a prejudice decision on rich America's part, but also because of how much of Africa is viewed, as savages anyways, so they are just being themselves (or at least this was how Oprah explained it on her show when she made the comment that part of the reason why we don't help is because it is Africa).
Also, I have been thinkin' a LOT about this same stuff that has been weighing on your heart/mind. I'll be completely honest and say I know NOTHING about Darfur, though i've seen people mentioning that website on blogs/away messages/profiles, however, after I accidently came across the Live 8 concert on television this weekend I was GLUED to the tv. Granted I'm a music freak, but it was SOOOO cool to see all those people all around the world dedicated to this one cause! And not just that, but all the celebraties that were involved as well. Honestly, some of the "big-names" that were part of it totally amazed me! When you see Mr. or Mrs. I'm-too-big-for-my-britches taking their time to do something like that, you know it's big!
----------------
Katey: I must say, I'm gonna have to disagree with you on some of your comment, dear! I still love ya, but disagree! ;)
I don't believe we should say things like "there are just many, many obstacles to overcome." This might be my therapy side, or maybe just my passion or motivation, but I think THOUSANDS and THOUSANDS of innocent people dying everyday isn't something we can continue to turn our head to and say "well there are just too many obstacles to overcome."
As any situation, whether it has one or one-hundred obstacles involved, you must begin with just one obstacle at a time. Yes, as you say, there are a lot of obstacles attached to the Africa situations, however, I think we must approach it one step at a time. The way I see it, one obstacle could save so many lives, so it is worth an effort.
You are very right: there are tragedies occuring in Irving, Nashville, and Abilene everyday, but I dare to say someone isn't dying at a rate of every 3 seconds here, especially from situations such as starvation and, as a dude put it during the Live 8 concert, a mesquito bite! Now that's sad, my friend. We can do a heart transplant to save your life here, but in Africa if you get a mesquito bite, you could be dead!
I think it comes down to the numbers. Yes, as a single individual such as myself or you or JWalk, or status and power levels limit what we can do. And in that sense, I'm all about starting right here: in Irving, Nashville, etc.
But when it comes to the power and status of the U.S. goverment, let's hit the big things: Africa! WAY too many people are dying!
(as for Iraq...it's okay with me...I'm not hating on that one...since I don't keep up with it, I can't say much, but as long as we are doing something good there for those folks, let it continue!)
I believe 110% that our troops are doing many good things in the middle east. That is pretty much the only reason I'm not against the war. I know our soldiers are definitely helping the people there. I don't think they should be completely pulled out of Iraq or Afghanistan. However, I would imagine the number of deaths that have occured in that area are miniscule compared to the deaths in Africa due to AIDS, malnutrition, starvation, and genocide. And I agree with Kim on the obstacles thing. Do we just write off Africa because it's going to be alot of trouble to fix? If we continue to ignore the problem, we will soon find ourselves with two empty continents. AIDS in itself is bad enough to wipe it out at the rate it's spreading.
I appreciate your idea for what we can do, which is to help where we are. I addressed that somewhat when I said that it isn't just Africa. I even mentioned the homeless in Abilene. That is the typical Christian answer. It was my answer up until three weeks ago. I'm a teacher. I'm helping where I am. No, I don't go out to the homeless shelters and serve food, which I probably should be doing, but I am most definitely a missionary in every sense of the word. I show Christ to those kids every day. However, that's just not enough anymore. Others may not feel called in this direction, but I just don't understand how it can just be written off and never really thought about again. Our charge is to "Seek justice, encourage the oppressed. Defend the cause of the fatherless, plead the case of the widow." (Isaiah 1:17) I truly believe that now that we know about this, we will be held accountable for it. Maybe not for picking up and moving to Africa to help with all the problems, but at least for our attitude and our heart towards it. I also think it will be taken into account whether or not we made an effort to help.
JWalk: ohhh.....you're in public school...be careful how you "show Christ to those kids every day"...tee hee hee! ;)
As for me...SCORE...I get to work in a homeless shelter ALL next semester as my fall internship...i'll just be talking with homeless folks all day long! Guess I'm "doing my part" there! HA! ;)
Kim,
Of course I show Christ to the kids every day. Is it a problem that I have a framed picture of him next to the American Flag? Freedom of speech and all, right?
Just kidding. There aren't any pictures of Christ. I do, however, have a flannel graph in my room. Their favorite story last year was the day of Pentecost. With the fire from the sky and all, what kid wouldn't like it? Coming in a close second was David and Bathsheba.
I appreciate the discussion, and I totally understand that not everyone can or will agree with me. I'm ok with that Kim, and I still love ya too. I just want to clarify that when I said there are "many, many obstacles" to overcome, I didn't mean that we shouldn't try. I was just offering some suggestions as to why things haven't been fixed already. I mean, I think we all remember the Somalia incident in the 90's. Sometimes America and the UN try to help and end up screwing things up more than they were to begin with. And I don't think that helps anyone. We need to go in there with a plan before we totally screw this up... again.
Let me just say that it took forever to read all of the comments on this one...and it cracked me up that it was from only 3 people!
Pretty sure I agree with something from each comment. I surprised someone the other day by telling them that I was a huge supporter of the US taking action in Africa. Apparently, I don't seem like the typical "supporter." Anyway, I completely feel that the US, and other major countries, have a duty to rescue the opressed. Yes, we have our own issues in our country, but like Kim said, there is no place in the US where people are dying every 3 seconds. As a whole, Americans are blessed. Even the 50 homeless people that stand on every corner on Judge Ely in Abilene are more wealthy than those in Africa...heck, they're probably more wealthy than I am, but that's another subject.
We take our lives for granted. We take everyday commodities as commonplace, and don't realize what other people are lacking. My church has a mission team in Africa right now and my prayers are constantly with them. I'm considering making the trip next summer because television and stories from Brad Pitt and Bono do not do the mass poverty and hysteria justice.
I'm proud of you Walker, Kim and Katey for sharing your opinions. Thank you for being honest and for taking a stand.
Ellison is a huge supporter of taking action in Africa?!?!?!? Wow....the world can start spinning again! HA!
Just kiddin', Ellison! ;)
The issue with Iraq is a popular one to question right now. But I think that the reasons for wanting to do either are largely the same. Thousands of people in Iraw were being killed, raped, tortured,etc just as in Africa. But in Iraq, the monster had a head. In Africa, there are many heads. Warlords here, tribal leaders there, corrupt leaders from here to there. Who do you go after? One thing that has been proven is that merely throwing money around is not getting the job done. Last year alone and estimated $10-19 billion came from the U.S. (publicly and privately) to Africa but poverty remains and sadly, those with 80% of the wealth are probably wealthier. For any of this to work, diplomatic and political reform is necessary to create an environment wherein representation by the people of Africa can thrive. At least that's a good place to start.
Scratch Iraw. Change it to Iraq.
I think the corruption of Africa is a reason why we don't help them as well. When we provide food etc., the people in need don't end up getting it, but the rich and elite steal it away. Same thing with the money that we gve. Unless the corruption stops within the country there will always be poverty. There is alot of money in the country but the government dosen't help their people and we are seeing this tragedy fold out. Take the AIDS crisis for example. It took Africa years and years before the US could convince them to provide education and condoms. We were willing to provide the resources for prevention, but the government was unwilling to listen. It got so bad that African men really believed that they would be cured of AIDS if the had sex with a virgin and so it spread like wildfire. Once the goverment was convinced to take a stand things have improved a bit. There is still a ways to go though. And I believe that the money that we are providing them is not reaching the people in need, but is being stashed away by corruptors. I firmly believe that the US has done everything we can to help with AIDS. You can help people, but they have to want to help themselves as well. We rich Americans (even if you are poor in America you are still rich) believe that money will solve all problems. It will not! There will still be problems around. We have to do what we can, but there is only so much that we can do. We have to rely on God for the rest. Oh, and some people are saying that we didn't help Africa because there are black people there. I must mention that the majority of Africa consists of white people. I don't think that this is a race thing, but a socioeconomical thing. Africa is poor and they have nothing to offer us. It has nothing to do with color folks!
Post a Comment