Greetings from SUMMER! The last couple of weeks have been insanely busy for us, so I have much to blog about! I'm hoping we can finally take a breather now that summer is finally here, but if these past three days have been any indication, it may still be awhile before I can really relax. This is going to be a really long entry, just to warn you.
This morning I went to the women's bible study at The Branch. It's my first time to be involved in any "Women's Ministry" function, and it makes me feel all grown up. I was the youngest woman in there by several years, and it felt a little strange, yet validating and overwhelming at the same time. So it was a little awkward, but people were warm and welcoming and overall I felt good about it. I signed a committment form, so I guess that means I'll be going back next week! :) Then, I came home for lunch with Lucas, went to see my grandparents, and went grocery shopping like a good little wife. Learning how to be a wife is one of my summer resolutions. Tonight we had steak, mashed potatoes, salad, and crescent rolls for dinner. I think I'm off to a good start!
Yesterday I subbed for summer school and then spent the afternoon in my classroom cleaning and moving stuff across the hall to my new KINDERGARTEN classroom! After Lucas and I both got home, we rounded up a couple bags of can goods and headed off to our friendly neighborhood Chipotle. They had teamed up with the North Texas Food Bank to give out free burritos, bols, etc in exchange for non-perishable food items. Apparently everyone else in Irving had the same idea. The line snaked its way around the restaurant and we waited for what seemed like an eternity. Of course, it was free, so we couldn't complain. You only had to bring in one item in exchange for your dinner, but I thought that surely they were expecting people to bring bags and boxes of food since the whole point was to donate food to the food bank. Wrong. Lucas and I were the only people in the whole place who had bags, and everyone else had a single item to donate. It irked me. I felt like the people were missing the point and just looking for a handout. Then again, maybe I'm not completely grasping the point either, since I'm sitting here judging them. It just felt typical Irving to me. And that bothered me.
Monday Lucas had the day off, so we decided to go see a movie in Southlake and go to Cheesecake Factory for an early dinner. We love to do that since it's what our first real date was. It brings back memories. Anyway, we were about two hours into the movie, and this lad on our row starts screaming "Help me! Help me!" Apparently, her husband had passed out and was unresponsive. Finally he came to, but then he passed out again. Everyone in the theater called 911 and then we had to evacuate the room for the paramedics to come in. It was probably one of the scariest things I've ever been a witness to. I think the man was okay, because we waited around awhile and saw his wife walking out. She looked fine, so I assumed she was going to get her car and follow them to the hospital or something. It really gave Lucas and me a scare, though, and the rest of the day seemed to take on a different meaning. I realized how much I take him and everyone else I love for granted. The desperation in that woman's voice was something I won't soon forget. I don't want to ever be that person!
Over the weekend, we were in Brady and Brownwood for Kendall's wedding and we decided to make a little romantic getaway of it. We arrived at our B&B outside of Brownwood on Friday, got ready, met up with some of the girls and Michael, then headed down the road for the wedding. It was outside and beautiful.
Kendall and Justin

Me and Lucas

Rachel, Jen, Jules, Kendall, me, and Mel
After the wedding, Lucas and I headed back to our B&B and pretty much went straight to bed. We slept in late on Saturday morning and woke up to an awesome breakfast. If you've never stayed at a Bed and Breakfast, I totally recommend it. After that, we got ready and headed into Brownwood. We ate lunch, shopped, and saw Pirates 3 before ordering a pizza and heading back to our place. After we got back and ate our pizza, Lucas worked for a long time on building a fire in the fire pit outside our cottage, and when he finally got it going, we roasted marshmallows and ate smores! Being married is so much fun! The next morning we got up, made friends with Biscuit- a very interesting llama, and went for a hike on the nature trail. Yes, you heard that right! I went on a nature hike. And I've got the chiggers to prove it! Here are a few pictures of our post-wedding festivities.

Our cabin

Our campfire

Biscuit the Llama

Lucas and Biscuit

Me and Biscuit
See...I warned you it would be long. So, this part will be quick! Memorial Day weekend, Lucas and I went up to Ohio to visit his family. We had a wonderful time! Saturday we went to Cedar Point, but it rained the whole day. Here are a couple of pictures from the rainy day.

Lucas and me on the train that we rode several times in the rain!

Lucas, me, and Abby in the stocks.

Me and Lucas. Like my poncho?
Hope you have a great week!
1 comment:
I've decided that since you have the summer off- you can come visit me. Mmmkay?! Thanks friend! Miss you!
Post a Comment