Monday, January 07, 2008

First of all, I just want to say THANK YOU to Kelly for my new layout and for just being all-around fabulous! In the last couple of months, I have re-embraced the world of blogging and have met and reconnected with tons of cool people. I just love the connections that the blog world brings about!

Also, thanks to Kelly for encouraging me through her weight loss blogging to begin blogging about my own weight loss journey. I rarely make New Years resolutions because they are so easy to break. This year, though, is different. I have decided to make a resolution. I want to lose 50 pounds this year. In all actuality, I should be able to do more than that, but I don't want to set a goal so seemingly unattainable that I just give up altogether. Also, this year I have a real reason to lose some weight. Lucas and I want to have children before the time we're ready to retire, so I need to get cracking on this weight loss thing. I want to be healthier than I am now when we have children so that there will be fewer complications and risks during the pregnancy.

This is something I've begun and ended so many times before, but this time I have a real reason with a very clear goal. It's less about beauty and more about health. I've been doing Weight Watchers off and on since last summer, and lost about 15 pounds, then gained back a little over five throughout the holidays. So, I'm going to count what I've already lost since WW does the computation for me. Since I'm doing that, I guess my goal will really be about 60 overall by the end of the year, but only 50 of those will be lost in 2008. I'm committing to actually attend the WW meetings, not just weigh in and leave. I'm also going to work out at least four times a week. By making this a public goal, I'm hoping that I will really be held accountable and be encouraged by my fellow weight loss bloggers.

I'd love to hear from anyone else who is working towards the same thing, or from anyone who has set a high goal for themselves this year! We can do it!

6 comments:

Britney K said...

LOVE the layout! So cute!
And congrats on the new goal. You can totally do that! One reason the beauty motivation never worked out is b/c you ALREADY ARE beautiful. Seriously! Being a chubbo prego I can tell you that it's got to be easier as a tiny to be mom! :) I'll be with you after I have this kid! LOVE YOU!

Jill said...

I found your blog through a comment on Kelly's blog. I too am doing Weight Watchers! I have for over a year now. I am currently on maintenence...reached my goal 4 weeks ago! You can do it too! I still go in and weigh every Thursday and try to make at least 2 meetings a month. My best advice is to not get frustrated & give up if you have a little gain. I did this once about half way through & have since learned to keep pushing through... we all have slip ups! It's not the "in the moment" frustrations that we need to look at but rather the big picture of long term health and how we can get there & stay there. Each day I have many choices: choices about what I put in my mouth, how much I put in my mouth & the amount of exercise I do. It's the small repeated daily choices that get us to our goal. I wish you the best in your weight loss journey!

Anonymous said...

I am with you. 50 pounds. No kidding. I started this before Christmas and failed miserably through the holidays. But now I am starting again. I love you!

Kelly | Fabulous K said...

I am already SO proud of you. Losing weight in a public way is a little scary at first but look at the comments you have already gotten...so encouraging! You are already so beautiful, so now it's time to be HEALTHY!

{But...it does not hurt that losing the weight turns up our hottness factors...right? hee hee}

I will be here every step of the way with you--thank you for all the encouragement you have given me as well. We rock! :)

Anonymous said...

Hey Jen, I have the same goal, but my goal is to lose SO much more than 60 pounds. However, that will take me longer than this one year. I'm a member at WW, I just don't go like I should. When I follow it like I should, I find it easy and attainable. My mother joined the first of September and she's lost about 30, all from following her points. She can't exercise due to bad knees so it's all been from her diet change. So, good luck, I know you can do it. Plase know you aren't alone and I'm cheering for you. :)
-Blaire

Becky said...

Way to go making that commitment!! I too am planning to jump back on that wagon. I wish all of us could find a way to go together to meetings and work out and such. I do so much better when I have nagging friends... J/K!! Anyway, I'm proud of you!!!!!