Sunday, April 19, 2009

Seven more weeks of school! But really, who's counting? Not me!

The past week went really well. I'm taking it day by day. You pretty much have to at this point. The kids have Spring Fever BAD and I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a bit affected myself. Thursday night was Family Science Night. My grade level was in charge of the Snail Races. Seriously. We put snails in the middle of a big target and waited to see which one crawled out of the target first. It was a bit slow-going (obviously,) but the kids loved it because they got to touch snails. If you didn't already know, snails are nasty.


Friday night we went to dinner with our friends David and Kaylane. We are so happy that we've finally found a couple that a) lives close to us, b) goes to church with us, and c) we can both tolerate. And when I say tolerate, I mean LOVE! They are so much fun and so easy to be around. Kaylane and I were friends in college, so I already knew she was awesome, but it's great that our husbands like each other, too. It's hard to find couples that get along well all four ways. We have a few other couple friends that we love, but none that live within 20 minutes of us. Fortunately, D&K (and their PRECIOUS little girls) live five minutes away. Awesome!


Yesterday I helped out with the job fair for the Irving ISD. As I walked up to the building, there were hundreds of people standing in line both inside and outside the building. Most of them were young and they were all dressed in their very best business attire. I couldn't help but remember back to those job fairs that I attended not so long ago. I'm sure everyone reading this has been a part of some kind of interview, so you can empathize. These folks have interview after interview all day long...and these are just preliminary interviews to see if they can land one with the principal!

It was really nice being on the other side of the interview table. I was amazed at how many people came through to interview with absolutely no experience in a classroom. How on earth do you know you want to be a teacher when you've never even been in a classroom with children? It's way different from having your own children- trust me! We also interviewed several girls that are about to graduate in May and I couldn't help but smile a little as they answered our questions. They were the exact same answers that I gave a principal just four and a half short years ago. It was encouraging and refreshing to see them with such excitement in their eyes as I, a "seasoned veteran" (yeah, right) feel almost ready to give up on it all!

Another really great thing about the job fair was that I got to go around and meet each principal with an open ITS position. In fact, my principal took me around and introduced me to each of them and then told them how wonderful I was. That was really nice to hear! At this point there are only three positions, with one of them being a split Librarian/ITS job. The thing that totally stinks is that I've heard the two open ITS positions are probably going to be filled from within their school. The Library/ITS position would require me to begin working on my Masters. So, I'm not sure what's going to happen at this point. I know one of the principals plans to interview me soon, but that's really all I know. Of course, I'll keep you updated.

Oh, and the best part about the job fair- someone pulled the fire alarm, so we all had to evacuate the building. In the rain. Awesome.


Have a great week!


5 comments:

annalee said...

were the snail races a part of the "animals 2x2" foss kit?! we did those and i was beyond disgusted every year. the kids love them so much though it's worth it!

Kim said...

Jenna was at the job fair! It went well with Lamar... I hope she gets a job!

Unknown said...

SWEET!!! We made the blog.

I knew I was cool before, but this just helps to confirm it. :)

I'm so glad you guys like us...it is a blessing on both sides!

Kaylane said...

I guess we will continue to "tolerate" you too! :)

WE LOVE YOU GUYS AND ARE GRATEFUL FOR YOUR FRIENDSHIP!!!!

Dusty Chris said...

Hey Jennifer,
I didn't know you had a blog. Snail races...slow day at IISD, eh? Have a great day...check out my blog. Chris Austin