If you've been reading my blog for the past few months, you know that I've been hoping to be in a technology position next year. Kindergarten is wonderful- truly it is. It's such a blessing to work with these little people every day. But at the same time, it is HARD. There isn't a day that goes by that I don't have to stop, breathe deeply, and pray for patience!
A few months ago, I found out there would be three technology positions open next year. Two were at elementary schools and one at an early childhood school. Both elementary schools had people from their campuses that were applying for the job, so it would be highly unlikely that I would get either one. Obviously the best choice for those schools is the person who is already a part of that community, as long as they're qualified. I did a quasi-interview (quasi because I was being interviewed by teachers and not the principal) at one school and a real interview at the other. It seemed very obvious that both interviews were formalities more than anything. They didn't write down the answers to the questions they asked me and they didn't seem very interested in talking to me. I have to admit I was a little bit upset because it seemed like my hopes for one of these positions was slipping away.
I had also submitted my resume to be considered for the position at the early childhood school. When I gave my resume to the principal at the job fair, she didn't seem very interested and quite frankly I didn't expect to hear anything from her. And rightfully so- the position was a Library/ITS position which requires a masters degree, which I don't have. I've always thought that I would one day go to grad school for this very degree, but I just didn't plan to do it so soon. The thought of being a pre-school librarian, though, was very appealing to me. Combine that with the technology job and I don't think there could be anything more perfect for me in the school system!
A week after I gave the principal my resume, I got a call from her secretary wanting to set up an interview with me! I was excited, but not too hopeful, recalling the last two interviews. When I arrived for the interview, I immediately felt at ease. I waited for a few minutes in the foyer, which is directly across from the library, and was able to see a bit of what goes on in their library. It's not very different from ours, just smaller. After a few moments, I was ushered into the principal's office to interview with a good chunk of the staff at the school. The whole interview was awesome. We talked and laughed, they asked me questions other than just the ones written on the paper, and when it was over, the assistant principal wanted to show me around the school! I took that as a really good sign, but tried not to get my hopes up too much because I knew they still had others to interview. They told me they would let me know something by the next week and I was on my way.
I left the interview with a real peace. Going into it, I wasn't completely sure if I wanted it, because it would be really hard to leave my school. After the interview, though, I knew. If they offered that job to me, I was going to take it in a heartbeat. And that decision wasn't made lightly, because taking this job actually would require alot of me. I'd have to begin graduate school. The ITS position doesn't require a grad degree, but the Librarian position does. Since it is both positions in one, a masters of library science is required. So, I began the process of applying to grad school at the University of North Texas. Actually, I began the process before the interview, but I didn't get really serious about it until afterwards.
Yesterday, the principal called me and after introducing herself, she said, "I've been meaning to call you all day, but just haven't gotten around to it. I just wanted to let you know that it was a really hard decision, but...(at this point, I'm sure I didn't get it) we'd like to offer you the job if you're interested!" I'm pretty sure I screamed, because she said something like, "Well, it sounds like you're excited about it!" So, next year I will be the Librarian/ITS at one of the early childhood schools in Irving! I'm sad to be leaving my school, but excited about the new opportunities ahead. I've submitted everything to be accepted to graduate school, so hopefully I will be accepted and able to start this June. I technically need to have six hours of grad school done when I start the job, so Lord willing, I'll get accepted and complete these first two classes in time for next year. The cool thing is that my mom is a Librarian in Irving, too, and she's also working on her degree, so we'll be able to do some of our classes together!
I'm so excited! 
This Saturday’s Recipes by The Pioneer Woman
6 years ago
10 comments:
Yay! Congratulations!!!! I'm so excited for you! You will be great at it. Which EC is it?
hooray! that's so great! change is GOOD! :)
Congratulations! I am excited for you and this new opportunity!
Congrats! That sounds wonderful!
and i'm so excited for you! what a great job for you.
Congratulations! :0)
awesome to hear! I'm in the midst of applying to a few schools and trying to figure out what I should do - so I understand your excitement and I'm glad it worked out for you! :)
Congratulations! I'm so glad it all worked out!
YAY! What great news--congrats!!
Look at me leaving you a comment to tell you how thrilled I am for you. I really am! Congrats and praise the Lord...will His wonders ever cease??
Also, if you have been reading my blog very much then you have heard about Meridith, my blog star cousin who I write about all the time...well, she is trying to land a teaching job in the Dallas area. Please let me know if you hear anything or if that kindergarten spot of your is up for grabs. :-)
Love to you sweet friend,
Melissa at Stretch Marks
Post a Comment