Friday, May 28, 2004

My friends call me J-Walk

My friends call me J-Walk. At first, I loved it. Having a nickname means that you're known. It means that people like you...most of the time, at least. I thought it was great. While I loved my real name, Jennifer, I had grown up with like, at least 13 Jennifers in every class. Seriously. (Ok, well maybe not seriously, but if your name is Ashley, I know you're feeling me here.) I mean, I had come to the point where I wouldn't respond to my name unless I heard it called out at least three times. I figured if no one else had answered by then, the person must be talking to me. For those of you who don't understand what it's like to have a common name, I guess the best way to describe it is like this- being a Jennifer is kind of like being a Starbucks. I mean, it's really cool until suddenly you find two on every corner and the novelty begins to wear off. But anyway, yeah. Long story short, after awhile I went throught this brief period where I didn't like being called J-Walk because I missed my real name or something. I never told anyone, because I knew it was stupid, but that's how I felt. I think it had to do with a boy. (Surprise!)

Anyway, in the past couple of years, these friends of mine who dubbed me J-Walk became very close and we shared some incredible times together. We've supported each other through good times and bad. It hasn't always been easy, but in the end, God blessed us with a friendship that I know will last forever. Now, as most of them have become college graduates and I am about to graduate myself, I am more thankful than ever to be called "J-Walk." Not because it means I'm cool or because it's better than my common name, but because of the girls who gave it to me and because of the One who gave me those girls.

These girls are who this blog is really for, along with all of the other precious friends I've made along the way. I imagine that if you're reading this, you're either one of those friends or you're some random person who's found me online. (In that case, nice to meet you and enjoy!) While the details of my life are really quite insignificant, you've been a part of them thus far, and this blog is my daily contribution for keeping it that way.


"As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another." Proverbs 27:17

No comments: