So it's official. My room at home is slowly but surely being taken over by someone other than myself. Sure it still looks like my room, but don't be fooled. My walls may still be blue and my bed might still be sporting a Laura Ashley bedspread, but the closet is full of my mom's clothes and my brother's junk. My flower stenciled desk now holds my brother's computer and his black entertainment center has taken up residence next to my bed. The black doesn't go so well with my whole floral theme, but it does match my old drum major baton propped up in the corner. (Go black and gold!) It also matches the massive black leather desk chair. Really though, I don't mind. I knew it would be coming soon, and rightfully so. I've been gone for four years now, and the fact that it's taken this long to become only half mine is quite a feat in and of itself. In all fairness though, I know that my parents will never completely take this room away from me. Considering we didn't even move into this house until after my freshman year of college (with me kicking and screaming, mind you,) I'm lucky to have a room at all.
Two positives of having my brother's stuff in my room: first, I have access to his computer, which is very cool. LCD monitor with a cordless keyboard and mouse. I get so spoiled when I use it. Second, I asked my dad if I could have my brother's queen size bed whenever I graduate and get my own place, and he said yes. Haha! Take that, Brett! It's back to the extra long twin for you! Not like it matters to him, though, because by that time, he'll be in the basic position I'm in now. Only home on weekends and possibly summers. Even if that weren't the case, I know he wouldn't mind, because he's a very giving person. I love my brother.
With all of this room business, I've really started to get excited about the idea of graduating and starting my own life. Up until this point, I've really not been excited about graduating and meeting the "real world" face to face, but now I'm thinking it won't be so bad. Sure, I won't be able to hit the snooze button over and over, but it may just be worth it. I've never been very concerned with material wealth, but the thought of being able to support myself and have my own place has become very tempting lately. I think that living by myself in Abilene this summer has helped me to realize that growing up isn't so bad after all.
Random thought of the day: I decided that whenever I finally get to visit California, I'm going to go to Jonathan Antin's salon in Beverly Hills and have him cut my hair. I know it'll be expensive, but he's awesome, and he has his own TV show. If you haven't seen it, check out Blow Out on Bravo. He does very nice work. Plus, he's really cute, even if he's twenty years my senior.
Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go back to dog-earing my Pottery Barn catalog, marking items that I know I'll never be able to afford. Thank goodness that Target has gotten so good at PB knock-offs!
This Saturday’s Recipes by The Pioneer Woman
6 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment