Oh the stories I could tell you...but I'll just go with this one: Yesterday I was teaching Social Studies to my second graders. We were talking about government and laws. The kids were naming different laws and one of them said "Don't sell drugs." I agreed that that is definitely illegal and added that doing drugs is also against the law. At that point, I made the mistake of calling on a particular student whose hand was in the air. The conversation went as follows:
Me: "Yes, (name of student?)"
Student: "My mom does drugs."
Me: "Oh really?"
Student: "Yup."
I suppose that in most circumstances hearing a kid tell you their parent does drugs would be sad. The funny part about this one is that his mother teaches at the school with us. :) Anyway, at this point Kendra and I are trying not to bust out laughing. Actually, Kendra was trying not to bust out laughing and I pretty much did bust out laughing...or rather I kind of just giggled for about 5 minutes. When I get tickled, the kids laugh too, and so it's kind of silly. After I was finished teaching, Kendra called the kid up to where she was sitting and asked him why he said that about his mom. He was very insistent that she does do drugs- she smokes. She told him that while smoking isn't good, it would probably be better if he doesn't tell people his mom does drugs. I second that thought. Especially not to the people his mom teaches with. So, that's the funny story for the week.
Today I had to go to the ACU police department to get fingerprinted for my application for teacher certification in Texas. Very strange. It took 30-45 minutes. Just to get fingerprints. No offense to ACU, but it's hard to take the ACU cops seriously. Especially when they give you a 20 minute speech about the proper way to ink your fingers and transfer that ink onto paper. Um, yeah. The officer helping me said that I have great fingers for printing. My ridges are amazingly distinct, apparently. He even told me that one of my prints was the "most perfect" he'd ever seen and he wished he could keep it to show everyone as an example of good fingerprinting. I felt incredibly honored to hold the position of best fingerprint. All joking aside, I am thankful that they didn't charge me and that he did warn me of the 70% fingerprint rejection rate by the state. Still, I hope I don't have to go through that whole ordeal again. As hard as it was for me to get good fingerprints down, I bet it's really tough to get criminals to make perfect fingerprints.
So all in all, life is good. The weather is getting cooler and tomorrow is October 1st, the beginning of my favorite month! Yay for Autumn! I can't believe that I'm almost halfway done with my student teaching! I'll be graduating from college in just about two months, and I'm excited for some time off.
Once again, just a plug for Bush. Way to go, Dubya!
This Saturday’s Recipes by The Pioneer Woman
6 years ago
3 comments:
Okay, let me clarify: when I first posted, I didn't say WHY I had to get fingerprinted. I've fixed it now, just so you all know that I didn't to anything wrong. :)
Now that I know how eager you were to break down my closet door at school, I'm not so sure you were "only getting your fingerprints done for your teaching certificate application"...hmmm, I think you're hiding something! Seriously, sorry for leaving you stranded!
Lucky dog you with your perfect prints. I've thought about having plastic surgery to correct my fingerprints -- they're just so ugly. ;)
Post a Comment