Saturday, May 21, 2005

EIGHT MORE DAYS!

All I'm really thinking right now is "Thank you, Jesus for only eight more days of school!!"

Let's be honest here. I don't love teaching. I don't hate it, but I don't love it, either. I look forward to weekends, but it's not like I totally dread getting up every morning during the week. Teaching is hard. My student teaching didn't quite prepare me for the real world of Irving. (Then again, does student teaching ever really prepare you for teaching?) That said, I wouldn't have traded my student teaching experience for any more "real" of an experience. I chalk that amazing four months up to two incredible teachers and 18 darling angels in the class. Well, 16 darling angels and two more who could be when they remembered to take their Ritalin- other days, not so much. That student teaching experience is what gives me hope that this can be better. Thank you, Jana and Kendra!

I was warned by several not to take a mid-year job, and I had every intention of waiting until August to teach. However, that wasn't what God had in mind for me, and I can just imagine him laughing at what was to come for me whenever I told people I wasn't going to take a job until the next year. I'd heard horror stories about teachers coming in mid-year, and THANK the LORD my situation hasn't been a horror. It's been difficult, but doable. I think that if I didn't have such a good attitude about it, I'd be miserable. But since I don't want to be miserable, I just keep my head up and walk on. I still haven't cried out of frustration, in either my student teaching or my real teaching, which is something my professors assured me would happen often. I am so incredibly blessed. I know that next year will be better, and while I'm excited about this summer, I'm also ready to get back and get started with a new group of kids who will really be "mine."


In other news, we're having a BFMF reunion in TWO WEEKS! My roomie Jen has set up a FABULOUS weekend for us in Fredricksburg at a Bed and Breakfast. We're SO wild and crazy, I know. Kendall won't be there with us, because she's working at the cult (and by the cult, I mean Bluehaven, jk) this summer. I absolutely cannot wait for the five of us to get together for our first reunion! It will be so much fun to see them, and also a great way to kick off the summer! I'm sure details will follow.


That's about it. Oh, I also moved into my new apartment last weekend, and I LOVE IT! It was hard to get used to for the first couple days, but it's nice. I still miss seeing my parents all the time, but I guess that's just how growing up goes. Signing off for another week (or two or three.) Be a blessing!

5 comments:

Jennifer said...

Kendra, I don't know how you could be any more helpful! Just seeing what a great teacher you are and knowing that someday this could be as good as that class you had this year is what keeps me going! I love those children, and I am SO thankful for that experience!

Jennifer said...

I knew you met at the cult! I was actually thinking about that as I typed it!

RPorche said...

I hear Tennessee is nice in the summer.

Anonymous said...

I agree with the Porche comment... come hang out with us!!!

-Katey

Anonymous said...

I agree with the Porche comment... come hang out with us!!!
-Katey