Sunday, September 18, 2005

Alive and Hopping

I just wanted to give all of you who have been praying so hard for my amphibian friend Spot an update. She seems to be doing much better. While the wound doesn't appear to be healing very quickly, it definitely isn't getting worse. It looks better, but not significantly. Apparently jojoba and tea tree oils work. Every time I put a drop of it on her head, she reaches up with her little hands and wipes it out of her eyes. It's really very cute. Also, my roommate says that she moves around alot in the cage whenever she's home from work at lunchtime. That seems like a good sign.

I've really grown attached to Spot within the past few days. She is absolutely adorable and if: a) she wouldn't hop away, and b) Bailey wouldn't eat her, I would definitely let her sleep in the bed with me. She's just that precious.

So perhaps the sleeping in the bed thing is a bit much, but I'm just trying to get the point across to you of how cute she is. Here's a picture of a similar toad that I found online.












Just kidding. Actually, these next pictures are what my toads look like.


Now, if you can imagine a large, gray, pussy hole right in between the eyes, this is what Spot looks like from the top/side.











If Spot and Spikey could do tricks, this is what they would do. It seems as though "sit" would be simple enough to teach, but unlike dogs and dolphins, amphibians are not known for their brain capacity and functionality. I know you're shocked.






Wouldn't it be nice to just spend all day long doing that? Seriously, my frogs do that like it's their job. Actually, I guess it kind of is.

Fun fact of the day: frogs drink through their skin.






This picture gives a really good view of a Fire-Bellied Toad's belly. As you can see, it does look strangely enough like fire. If I'd been Adam, I probably would've named it something else. The scientific name is Bombina Orientalis, because I know you were just about to comment me with that question.














And finally, notice the well-manicured nails. God's creation is absolutely brilliant! Permanent make-up that you don't have to get tattooed on! Not only are their bellies on fire, but their fingers are flame-tipped as well. It's true that you can see this detail in the picture above, but I just thought this one was so cute.






Thanks again for your prayers and giving me this opportunity to show off my toads.

No comments: