Thursday, September 22, 2005

My 35th favorite day of the year

That's right ladies and gents. After all 31 days in October, Thanksgiving, Christmas Eve, and Christmas, today is my 35th favorite. September 22nd ushers in Autumn, the most incredible and beautiful season of the year. Unfortunately, this year's 35th favorite day wasn't so good. If it's a precursor for things to come, I'm not so sure how Autumn 2005 will turn out. Then again, things can only get better! I think part of it is that church was SO amazing last night, and Satan always tries to get you down when things are going well. Well, you're not gonna get me! Take that!

Today was just one of those days, ya know? It was hot, it was long and tiring, and it was BUSY! Also, the gas stations had super long lines because of the impending hurricane. I decided to go to a gas station that was five cents more per gallon, but I didn't wait a single minute. For an extra 70 cents, I saved probably 30 minutes to an hour. I've never in my life seen gas stations out of gas until today. It was absolutely crazy. My friend Lindsay is in school at TAMU Galveston and left last night at 6:00 to head back up to Irving. At 2:00 this afternoon she was still in Houston because of traffic. For those of you not familiar, it's about an hour commute from Galveston to central Houston. It took her 20 extra hours. That kind of puts it into perspective. My friend Laura and her family are actually on a cruise right now that was supposed to be coming back into Galveston on Saturday. Talk about scary.

I'm excited about the rain and cool weather coming, but obviously I wish it wasn't coming at the expense of the Texas/Louisiana coastline. It's crazy that something that far away from us can possibly have so much impact that we could lose power for up to a few days. They're saying that predicted high winds can knock out power and because the attention will be focused on the coast, we could go several days without it. Of course, that's worst case scenario, but still. Since the storm has been downgraded, I don't think things are expected to be quite so drastic. Still, we've been advised to stock up on water, food, batteries, flashlights, candles, and the like.

So back to the school front...I had my first power struggle today. I got a new student a couple of days ago who pouts whenever he doesn't get his way, and long story short, today he started screaming and crying. Fortunately, I won the power struggle. I just hope I don't ever get into one again. Although it was annoying while he was screaming and crying and crumpling up on the floor, the ending was quite comedic. The vice-principal, a woman, came in to take him to the office. He refused, so she bent her knees, wrapped her arms around his middle, picked him up, and carried him down the hall. I couldn't help but laugh. So did the kids. Maybe not too professional of me, but what do you do? I told the kids, "See what happens when you don't do what Miss Walker tells you to do?" They laughed. It was good. He was in ISS for the rest of the day, and was quite meek when he came back. Let's hope it lasts.

A couple of you have asked me about Satan Junior. He has come a LOOOOOOONG way. We connected, he loves me, and he always gives me a high five and says "Peace" whenever he leaves. He's been consistently late, and his mom says his old elementary school is closer. I think they're applying for a transfer there. It would be nice to have one less student, but I really don't think it would be good for him to leave. He'd have to start all over again with a different teacher who doesn't know him. He's also under the influence of an older brother who is either involved with a gang or just wants to be involved in a gang. Very into the hip-hop/rap thing. I really worry about him, and he needs intervention now. I'm afraid of what will happen if he doesn't have someone knock some sense into him while he's still young.

On the bright side, rehearsal was cancelled and I got to go to my grandmother's house tonight for dinner. Afterwards, she and my dad came out to my apartment so she could see it. You'd think she'd have seen it after five months, but I guess that just goes to show how crazy things get. Fortunately, this forced me to clean the apartment. My closet is a whole other story.

I hope that you have a wonderful first weekend of Autumn. I have a wedding Saturday night, and I'm actually pretty excited about it. It's the wedding for the bachelorette party I went to last weekend, which I may or may not have told you about. Good times were had by all. Expect more updates soon. Blessings!

1 comment:

Katey said...

Right after Katrina most of Nashville was out of gas for almost 2 days- our pipeline is out of Louisiana. Lines were long yesterday at the Krogers, but I'm thinking that now that Rita has turned, people will calm down. The masses don't understand that if they stayed calm, it would be a lot easier to deal with things- their hysteria doesn't help. Did Lindsay get out ok?

Glad Satan Jr is doing well. That is sad about him transferring- he needs you. Sounds like you've grown very attached to him too, so I'm hoping that he stays put.

Thanks for commenting about my CG. I should be thankful they are just 14-15 yr old girls and not all older than me. I've been told that my co-leader is amazing too (even though she hasn't returned any of my phone calls thus far) and so I'm excited. And yeah, I've been really blessed here. BST is literally like an older brother, in the good ways and the other ways. I don't think I would still be here without the Thomases. They make me not feel like an alone single- but a part of a family here.

So here's to a beautiful fall! I'll send you some pictures of the leaves turning up here and you have fun at HS football games for me. And a little over a month until your BDay!