
Three years ago today Julia Aleksandra arrived in the United States from Russia to be my cousin! She is the most precious little girl and despite our twenty year age difference, we have strangely similar personalities. Julie was seven months old when my aunt and uncle brought her home, and she'll be four this March. In this picture, taken about a week ago, Julie and I had just discovered that we have exactly the same color hair, which is quite an improvement from her bald baby stage. We weren't sure if she'd ever grow hair. :)
The blessings of adoption are so incredible. I've been fortunate to be able to see many of these blessings first hand. Julie has been a precious gift in our family. When I lived in Austin two summers ago, the couple I lived with adopted a baby while I was staying with them. I have friends that are adopted and I also have friends who have given up babies for adoption. I hope that someday I will be able to adopt a child, whether it's from the United States or somewhere else.
What experiences have you had with adoption?
This Saturday’s Recipes by The Pioneer Woman
6 years ago
5 comments:
Hi Jennifer,
I found your blog from a comment you posted on BST's blog. I enjoy your entries :)
Just wanted to share my adoption story -- my mom was adopted from Seoul, Korea when she was about 2 years old. She married my dad (who, I call "white" :) Blonde hair, blue eyes) and had four girls. 3 of us took my mom's colorings, and the last girl took my dad's :) I often think what if my mom had never been adopted...I'm so glad she was! My husband and I are expecting our first baby in March, and we too have decided we would like to adopt sometime.
Anyways, thats my story :)
Blessings!<><
Well JWalk-
We have talked many times about our feelings on adoption. My older brother was adopted through Women for Christian Homes and I think that it was a huge blessing for my family. Most people don't even remember he was adopted- he looks more like my family than I do! His foster parents also went to church with us all our lives so he was blessed to always have that connection as well. I have always said that I wanted to adopt because I have seen the many blessings of adoption.
I'm going to adopt.
Wow, what a cutie-patootie! That little girl isn't too bad either.
I totally want to adopt. I'd love to even have a child of a different race, though I am well aware of the implications that come with that. I think I'll just look for a husband first before I decide anymore about it. :)
Jennifer,
I haven't seen you in awhile, but I found your blog through another GATA's. I am a maternity worker for an adoption agency in Dallas. I am so very grateful for the gift that our birthmothers give adoptive families. Also my brother and I are adopted, so I am very adoption friendly. November is adoption awareness month, so keep learning about adoption and the ways that it can bless others. It is an amazing journey and I will gladly share my experiences with anyone wanting to listen.
Wishing you the best JWalk! I love your blog!
Dee
Post a Comment