And even when the trees have just surrendered
To the harvest time
Forfeiting their leaves in late September
And sending us inside
Still I notice You when change begins
And I am braced for colder winds
I will offer thanks for what has been and was to come
You are autumn
Every Season, Nichole Nordeman
To the harvest time
Forfeiting their leaves in late September
And sending us inside
Still I notice You when change begins
And I am braced for colder winds
I will offer thanks for what has been and was to come
You are autumn
Every Season, Nichole Nordeman
A few minutes ago I took my dog outside for her pre-bedtime potty break. As I stepped out the door, the first thought that entered my head was, "Wow. It smells beautiful outside." I've never really thought of anything as smelling particularly beautiful, but for some reason, that was it. The scent of wood burning fires in fireplaces and just slightly cool air. It was perfect.
Crisp weather, long sleeves, and the changing colors are three things I love about Autumn that I'm sure would set this time of year as my favorite regardless of anything else. It's not just those things that rank it at the top, though. Strangely enough, I can actually trace my love for the season back to one particular day.
Nothing was especially significant about that day, yet it's still with me 15 or so years later. Details are vague, but I remember the exact moment when I just felt this incredible joy come over me and Autumn became my favorite. Upon arriving home from school in probably the third or fourth grade, I headed up the street to my friend Ashley's house. As I began walking up the hill to her house, the sun was shining and the air was cool and it must have been close to Halloween, because there was just a magical feeling in the air. I remember the exact place I was at as I just came to this realization of happiness. Seems deep for an eight year-old, and at the time, I'm sure I couldn't have put the words to it. Nevertheless, I can still remember it so clearly.
I know this is really just rambling, but I so love this time of year! I even call it Autumn instead of Fall because I just think it's a much prettier word. Careful now, there's the dork in me coming out. There is just so much good about this season! It's not too hot or too cold, the colors are beautiful, the fair comes to town, high school homecomings, school carnivals, scary stories, pumpkin everything, children dressing up in costumes to go door to door begging for candy, and most importantly, gaining an extra hour of sleep. All so exciting! I'm incredibly thankful for the awesome memories associated with the season that still remind me how much I love it today.
Enjoy the rest of the season, and don't forget that birthday gifts can be purchased for me from my amazon wish list! (Just kidding, but only kind of.) If you order now, I'll most likely get it by my birthday, even if you select the free shipping option. ;-)
Love you guys. Thanks for reading me!
No comments:
Post a Comment