Wednesday, October 12, 2005

Happy 50th Birthday to my mom! I have been incredibly blessed to have two wonderful parents. They met their senior year at Irving High School, got married when they were 19, and celebrated their 30th anniversary this past summer. Their example of marriage is so incredible, and I long to have the same kind of relationship some day. My mother is my very best friend, and I am so greatful for her! It's so cool to be at the stage where you've passed through the negative aspects of the parent/child relationship and can now enjoy solely positives. My dad's 50th is just around the corner. Just in case you were wondering, this picture was taken sometime in the 70's. They haven't changed much, though. :)

This past weekend at the retreat, I was prayed over by a man who has come to be a friend and spiritual mentor over the last few months. He has the gift of prophecy, which isn't nearly as strange as it sounds, and he definitely had a few things to say to me that were dead on. The first thing he told me was that I wasn't going to be an old maid, and to just get that idea out of my head off the bat. I wouldn't say it's something that I worry about, but in the back of my mind, there's always that thought. Then he began to talk to me about my struggle with perfectionism. I'm not a perfectionist in all areas, but in some areas, it's absolutely ridiculous. I especially struggle with making my life look perfect from the outside. In all honesty, I live a great life, but in those times when it's not so great, I'm rarely going to share it. I'd much rather just answer "fine" or "good" than be honest in response to the question, "How are you?" I also have a few other perfectionist issues. Michael prayed for me to be delivered of these things and to realize that my value isn't found in how well things work out or how perfect they are.

Yesterday as I was reading a totally random blog, I came across an entry about perfection. I truly believe that this was a confirmation of what Michael told me, and it was such an encouragement to see how the Lord led me to read those words at that particular time. It was a charge to be imperfect. To be who I am rather than to be who I want people to see me as. What a liberating idea! Please pray that I will be able to be open and honest, that I'll be able to leave things instead of manipulating them to my idea of perfection, and that when things aren't going the way I think they should, I'll just be able to let it go. If I were perfect, why would I need Jesus? Praise him that I'm not!

Once again, as requested (haha,) here are my lyrics for the night. Only one more day of this, folks! In 24 hours I'll have seen Crowder and will be back home in bed. :) Seriously, the point of these lyrics are to share with you so that maybe you'll connect and want to get to know David Crowder and his music. It is really amazing. Katey, I KNOW you would love it.


Foreverandever, Etc.
David Crowder* Band

love so incredible to know
it's never gonna go
never gonna go

love too impossible and true
for anyone but you
for anyone but you

i think i'm on the break of something large
maybe like the breaking of the dawn
maybe like a match being lit
or the sinking of a ship
letting go gives a better grip

i'm finding everything i'll ever need
that i'm giving up in everything
falling for you for eternity
right here at your feet
where i wanna be
i am yours

love so indelible to know
you're never gonna go
you're never gonna go
love too unthinkable and true
for anyone but you
for anyone but you

maybe like a match being lit
or the sinking of a ship
letting go gives a better grip

i'm finding everything i'll ever need
that i'm giving up in everything
falling for you for eternity
right here at your feet
where i wanna be
i am yours

foreverandeverandeverandeverandever
foreverandeverandever

2 comments:

Ellison said...

Your brother looks so much like your dad in this picture! Hope the concert goes well!

I'd like to know more about this fellow with the gift of prophecy. I'm intrigued.

Katey said...

That was one thing that always frustrated me about you. You were always a great listener when I was having problems, but never really wanted to let me return the favor. I love you JWalk, and I won't think any less of you or think you don't have everything together. That's what friends are for, to share all the ugly stuff with. I'm always here.