Thursday, November 23, 2006

Happy Thanksgiving Back

"Happy Thanksgiving back."

Name the movie that quote is from and you'll win big prizes. Actually, your prize will really just be the satisfaction that you've seen the incredible movie that it came from. If you know me, that should be a pretty big hint as to what the movie is. It's my all time favorite.

Speaking of all time favorites, I thought I'd make my re-entry into the world of blogging with some commentary on a few of my most favorite things that I'm thankful for. Here goes: Raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens, bright copper kettles and warm woolen mittens...just kidding. Although I do definitely appreciate roses, with or without raindrops.

This afternoon as my grandpa was praying before we sat down to eat, I was overwhelmed with all of the things I have to be thankful for, especially this year. Obviously, there's one huge blessing I've been given this year and a multitude of other small (and not so small) ones. A popular praise song I often sing says "Every blessing you pour out, I'll turn back to praise." I want to confess here that I haven't been so great about doing that. Every blessing I've been given has been a merciful and gracious gift from my Father, and I'm so sorry that I haven't been a better proclaimer of that. This year has been a year of internal battling and struggling with my belief, like I've never experienced before. I can't sit here and say that I'm completely through it, but I know in my heart that every bit of good in my life comes from the Lord. I take it for granted 90% of the time, and for that I am so sorry. I am here to say that "Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows." (James 1:17) I am so unworthy and don't deserve anything he's given to me, but I am thankful that he has.

Most of all this year, I find myself thankful for love. I suppose love is what I am most thankful for every year, whether it's God's love, my parents love, love for life, or love from my friends. This year, though, it's an entirely different kind of love. I don't understand why or how it's happened to me, but it has. I've never felt loved the way I've felt loved over the past five and a half months. I never really thought this would happen to me. I hoped it would, but deep down I really thought I was just kidding myself. I guess I wasn't. When I first fell in love, I wondered about it alot. I'd never really been in love before, so I questioned it- both in my head and aloud to Lucas. I just didn't understand how he could possibly love me, or how I could love him in such a short amount of time. I still don't understand it, but I've come to believe it. Lucas loves me in a way that I have never felt before. He is so patient with me and even when I'm trying my best to be disagreeable and hard to get along with, he just waits it out until I come around. I suppose I've done a good amount of testing him. He passed. He definitely loves me, and I'm not always easy to love. Just ask my parents. :)

On top of being on the receiving end, I'm also thankful to be able to stand on the giving end. Our whole relationship has made me so much more aware of so many things, just about life in general. I'm 25 years old and am nowhere close to having it all figured out, but I understand so much more than I did just a few months ago. Giving your heart to and meshing with another person will do that to you. It's not an easy thing to put into words, but I see many things differently now. I don't always like it, but I'm so thankful that I have the opportunity to experience it.

A few more things I'm thankful for:
- my wonderful parents, brother, and grandparents
- Lucas' amazing family- SUCH a blessing!
- getting a SISTER! (or at least a sister-in-law)
- the weiner dog
- my precious little house that I'm not currently living in
- my parents letting my move back in to save money
- lucas moving in and taking over my mortgage payment :)
- The Branch
- my incredible friends
- Dr. Pepper
- Chick lit
- flowers
- fajitas
- and YOU!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You've Got Mail

What did I win? :)

Katie said...

YOU'VE GOT MAIL!
oh my gosh, best movie ever. i'm so sorry we didn't get to see eachother over the break! i'm glad you're blogging again! love you, girl!