Tomorrow is the last day of school before Christmas break! We should've been out last Friday, but I'll take what I can get. Is it just me or did Christmas really sneak up fast this year? I haven't had a chance to do any of my holiday traditions- make my Christmas mix CD, make ornaments for friends and my students, do my Christmas baking, or meet up with friends for Christmas gift exchanges. The Christmas season is almost over and it's hardly even begun for me yet!
While I'm SO ready for a break, I have to admit (albeit stubbornly,) that school has been going much better lately. I almost like not liking it, because it makes me a little more sure about my future...sure that I won't be doing this again next year, anyway! But then I have to go and have a couple good weeks like these have been. Messes me all up. :) It's been so nice to have more good days than bad days in the past few weeks, so I really can't complain. This is the first point this school year that I've been able to say that. I still have a hard time with the little ones, and I still don't know what I'll be doing next year, but weeks like this make me realize that it will get easier with time. I got an email from my first grade teacher today that was so encouraging. I know most people probably don't email back and forth with their first grade teachers, but I'm a special case, you know.
Lately I've been hit by how things are changing, how things continue to change. I suppose the majority of change around me is related to marriage, as I have so many close friends who are newly married, newly engaged, about to be engaged, or are new parents. It's such a strange thing. When did this all happen? When did I grow up? It's amazing to me to think that when I went to bed on the evening of May 30, I was just excited about the next day being the last day of school. I had no idea that what I should've been excited about was that I would be first introduced to Lucas that day. Crazy stuff. My Irving best friend is about to celebrate her one year anniversary and my ACU best friend is getting married on Saturday.
I hope you all have a wonderful Christmas and that you will be blessed in the new year! I'm looking forward to my last Christmas with my family before I become an old married woman. Lucas will be with his family and I will be with mine, so I have no doubt that it will be special for both of us to be with our families one last time before we're together for good!
This Saturday’s Recipes by The Pioneer Woman
6 years ago
2 comments:
Too bad you can't attend your best friend's wedding Saturday since you have to be in mine. I guess we should have thought about this.
Hi Jennifer. I came across your blog randomly and thought I'd add my two cents' worth about teaching. I haven't read everything you've written about it, but this post says a lot--and I can relate to it! I taught junior high for five years, and every year I began to think, "I can't do this another year" earlier and earlier. When I finally made the decision to quit, it was as if a giant weight was lifted off my shoulders, and even though I didn't have another job lined up, I knew I'd done the right thing. And, like you, things started to go better. It kind of threw me, because I started to second guess myself. Then I realized the reason why it was going well was because I wasn't taking it as seriously anymore. But if I decided to stay on, I would suddenly take it seriously once again, and I'd be back in the same boat.
So I guess all of this is to encourage you to follow through with what your gut tells you to do.
Oh, and congratulations on your engagement! The photos of you and your fiancee (or should I say "Beyonce"?!) are beautiful! Best wishes for a fabulous wedding and much happiness!
Post a Comment