Thursday, August 30, 2007

It's really hard to tell a good kindergarten story without being able to get across the vocal intonation, facial expression and personality of a five year-old. So often times stories I find absolutely hilarious may not be funny at all to you. Keep that in mind if you aren't impressed by my stories. However, I hope you at least find them really great examples of the innocence and creativity of kindergarteners. Here's what went down today:

After dealing with an accident that my student Glenn* had, he walks up to me and asks me to help him put his shoes back on. I notice as he approaches a mysterious lump underneath his shirt and quickly put two and two together. He's been bringing a stuffed monkey to school with him each day this week, and we've given said monkey a "special" place in Glenn's cubby.

Me: (pointing at his shirt) Glenn, what is that?
Glenn: Welllllllll...I think it's my monkey.
Me: (laughing) You think it's your monkey or you know it's your monkey?
Glenn: (looking sheepish yet incredibly honest) He just jumped right in there!
Me: Oh really?
Glenn: Yeah, I think he was looking for someplace warm.

Kindergarten is wonderful! I hope that all my fellow teacher (and student) friends have had an equally great week!


*Names have been changed to protect the not-so-innocent. :)

2 comments:

Katey said...

I'm glad you're loving kindergarten. I was worried, because I think kindergarten is one of the scariest placest in the world- but you seem to have found a great place. They are funny, but the monkey story takes the cake!

Melody Forest McKee said...

It cracks me up that you randomly picked "glenn" as your name. HAHA