Friday, March 14, 2008

I have some exciting news!

No, I'm not pregnant. I know that's what you were thinking! Why is it that anytime a young married woman says she has news, everyone thinks she's pregnant? I'm not. But don't worry, blog friends. When (and if) I ever am, you'll be the very first to know. Before my husband or parents or anything. I promise. You, my faithful readers. Because that's how much I love blogging.

But seriously, I have exciting news! We aren't getting our hopes up too too much because we've learned that these things aren't a done deal until they're done, but...

We think we have a house!

Last Friday, the 7th, we officially made an offer on a house that we love! We found out that it was a short sale, which basically means exactly the opposite of what it sounds like. From what I understand, a "short sale" means a house is either in pre-foreclosure or a borrower who is trying to sell owes more on a house than it is worth. The bank has made a deal with the sellers that if they sell the house, the bank will call it even on whatever they make off the house. This may not be 100% accurate, but it's how I understand it. Because of this, we have to deal with both the sellers AND their mortgage company. So after we made the offer, we heard that the sellers were accepting it, but we had to wait to hear from their bank to see if they accepted it too. We found out yesterday that the bank accepted! They are doing an appraisal on Tuesday morning and after that, everything should be good to go for us to move on with an inspection. This is why we aren't celebrating quite yet. With the last house we tried to buy, we found out at the inspection that there were MAJOR problems. So if it passes the inspection, we'll get really excited!

There are some awesome things about this house and the deal they accepted! First of all, we totally low-balled it on the offer so that we would have room to negotiate. They accepted our offer, though! In November, they dropped their asking price $5,000. The day before we looked at the house, they dropped their asking price $10,000. And we offered them $7,500 less than what they dropped it to. So essentially, we're getting it for $22,500 less than their original asking price. We're not sure why it's taken so long to sell. Maybe it was overpriced, maybe there is something wrong that the inspection will reveal, or maybe it's because it's a short sale. Many people won't buy short sales because they take too long to do. Most people don't have time to wait when buying. But we do! So, hopefully we will find out that there's nothing wrong with the house, and that God was preparing it for us all along. That's what we believe, anyway! Another cool thing about the offer is that the house has an above ground pool that the people wanted to take with them. We included it in our offer, though, so we get to keep it! It's not as good as the real thing, but it'll still be fun! I'm glad they're leaving it, because it's buried about halfway in the ground, and it would've been a real pain to refill the hole with dirt and take down the deck around it.

I know you're probably wondering when this entry will ever end, so here's a quick run down of the house. It's in Euless, but it's really close to Irving. About as close as you can get without actually being in Irving. Right around 183 and Euless Main. It's two stories and has three bedrooms, 2.5 baths, 2 living areas, a formal dining and eat-in kitchen (which has been totally re-done,) pergo and tile floors, and it has a huge backyard. Plus a pool! Yeah! We are supposed to close on April 30th (my half-birthday!) I'll post a picture of it later. The online pics are blurry, so I'll wait til I get some better ones. Hopefully that will be soon. I can't wait for you to come see it!

3 comments:

FeedingYourMind said...

that's real close to some townhouses I've been looking into moving too.

Congrats...i hope it all works out in the end for you!

Shauna said...

How fun! Would love to see some pics!!

gayle said...

Hey, I used to live right by there, and I totally know where you're taking about! What a great neighborhood, and good luck!!!