Thanks for all your comments from yesterday's blog, on both sides of the issue. I'm glad that we all have something here that we can feel passionately about. This is the first election in my life where people have actually seemed to be concerned about the outcome.
For those of you who felt that I was saying Christians shouldn't vote for Obama, I'm sorry that I came across that way. What I was saying was that I don't understand how Christians can vote for Obama because of this belief that he has. Those are two very different things. I do disagree with several of Obama's other platforms, but it is for the reason I wrote about yesterday that I couldn't bring myself to vote for him even if I did agree with other things he stood for. My intention was to make Christians aware of this, because I believe that many of them- mostly in our generation- are simply voting for Obama because it's been said that he represents change.
That said, if you are a Christian who has weighed the issues and it sits well with your beliefs to vote for Obama, then more power to you. I have no right to condemn you for that, just as you have no right to judge me for posting this article and making my opinion known. I have several friends who are on the side of Obama. I'm glad that they've cared enough to research it and make their decision. I have two friends in particular who are strong Christian women, and I know they have done a thorough job of debating the issues. They feel that Obama is the better candidate overall. I couldn't change their minds if I wanted to. They probably don't understand how I, as a Christian, can vote for McCain. And I'm okay with that. That doesn't make either of us less of a Christian.
I don't want anyone to mistake that I'm a McCain supporter. I'm not. So for those of you who have bad-mouthed McCain in an effort to redeem Obama, it really doesn't bother me. In 2004, I was a W. supporter. I even had the bumper sticker. McCain's name hasn't graced my yard, car, or anywhere else. Frankly, I really don't like the man. He seems a bit smug to me. Actually, they both do. I haven't been posting article after article bashing Obama and glorifying McCain. I've read many articles about both candidates full of hype with no truth to back them up. Since the author of the article I posted yesterday was able to site his sources and I was able to check them, I felt that it was a good article to post. It finally came to a point that I simply felt that before the election I should let my voice be heard.
I suppose I could vote for someone else, but since none of the other candidates have a chance, I need to align my vote with the candidate who I feel is closest to my beliefs. And that candidate is not Obama.
This Saturday’s Recipes by The Pioneer Woman
6 years ago
7 comments:
Please show me, with sources, where Obama has ever said that he personally believes abortion is moral and right. Everything that I've ever seen shows that he has a constitutional responsibility to keep government out of the picture. To place a federal ban on abortion is unconstitutional and violates our personal privacy, no matter your religious beliefs. We allow the government to ban abortion because of our religious beliefs and what's next? Banning weapons because Christ said "turn the other cheek"? Why don't we just go ahead and trash the bill of rights? Just because I'm pro-choice doesn't mean I hate babies live an immoral life. I believe life starts at conception but also believe the government should stay out of my personal affairs.
But hey, what's the constitution but an old ragged piece of paper?
I don't know what his moral beliefs are. I said he supports it, so I don't support him. The end.
What's really sad is that you're not the only one out there voting based on the issue of abortion. Never mind the fact that we are fighting an unjust war in Iraq that is costing us 2 billion a week, or that our economy is in shambles (and voting McCain will ensure it gets worse through his adherence to the supply-side economic theory), or that McCain has run one of the dirtiest campaigns in American history, or the fact that McCain has no real plan to get us energy independent besides drill, baby, drill.
The fact of the matter is that Roe v. Wade is political suicide and neither candidate is going to do a thing about it.
but none of that matters simply because McCain is pro-life so therefore he has your vote.
No wonder this country is going down the can. Thanks!
Wait a second...
so for ABORTION, we need to keep the government OUT of our lives.
Yet when it comes to PERSONAL choices, such as NOT getting a job and NOT paying for health care...that's when we should allow the government to step in???
Rather double standard here. Keep the government out when it's convienant for you.
Michael-
I already said that I have other problems with Obama's issues as well, but they aren't moral issues, so I don't feel the need to bring them up. Why do you feel the need to keep arguing? Apparently you believe that you know more than everyone else. I'm done listening. If you want to talk, post it on your blog.
Ooh, I've just got to comment on Michael's "no wonder this country is going down the can." What about the fact that the greatest economic troubles have only been since the Democrats got the majority in the House and Senate?
Also, to say that someone who does vote solely on the issue of abortion is sending the country down the can is even far worse than saying the same about someone voting solely on the issue of slavery.
We are facing a massive genocide against unwanted, "inconvenient" and hated children. At least it was illegal to kill the slaves for any reason desired.
I am really glad you posted that article yesterday. I'd read a lot about Obama's support for abortion, and the thing that bothered me the worst was the fact that he's not only supporting partial-birth abortion, but that he opposed helping babies who'd survived them. I just don't get it. And I don't care what anyone says, I've had a huge problem wrapping my brain around how someone who is a Christian could support someone with these beliefs. But, to each his own I suppose. Just wanted to give you a hollaaaaaa and high fives for standing up for what you believe in!
Post a Comment