Friday, August 06, 2004

Newly Sharpened Pencils

Only one week left of my internship. It's been a great summer, and I have been blessed in so many ways. This past Wednesday night, I had the opportunity to go to an Elder's meeting to share about the Children's Ministry Fair that's going on this Sunday. The elders at Highland are so amazing, and I am so thankful for that opportunity to sit in on one of their meetings. If you're a Highlander, I encourage you to do so as well. It looks like ministry fair is set for launch, and I, for one, will be glad for all of the summer events to be overwith, so that I'll get one week to wind down before I'm officially out of the intern role.

Today as I waited at Wal-Mart for the oil in my car to be changed, I wandered into the garden department, which has been mostly transformed into a miniature office/school supply store. As I walked up and down the aisles, I was taken back to my elementary school days. For me, the only thing in August that was more exciting than shopping for school supplies was the first day of school. Looking at the supplies today helped me get excited about my student teaching this Fall. I know that it will be a great experience and that I will be successful, but I can't help but be a little bit apprehensive about it all. I agree with Brandon Scott about new lunch boxes. I almost bought a very cool ladybug lunchbox today, but then I realized I'm 22.75 years old, and I really don't need a lunchbox. Or maybe the ladybug lunchbox would help cure my insecurities. :)

On the school supply note, a quote from Tom Hanks in my most favorite movie ever, You've Got Mail: "Don't you love New York in the Fall? It makes me want to buy school supplies. I would send you a bouquet of newly sharpened pencils if I knew your name and address." I wish someone would send me a bouquet of newly sharpened pencils. I so love that movie. I think I can quote about 2/3 of it. In fact, I've never been to New York, but I believe I've seen You've Got Mail so many times that I could completely navigate New York's Upper West Side without a map. I think I should like to try. The movie also makes me want to become very wealthy so that I can shop at privately owned bookstores instead of places like Barnes and Noble and Amazon.com. I would like to own a children's bookstore someday, in fact, maybe I shall open a discount children's bookstore, so that people can afford to shop there. What a happy thought!

No comments: