Saturday, September 04, 2004

19 Reasons Why I LOVE Second Grade

Steven, Mark, Alexis, Angel, Willie, Stormi, AJ, Dalton, Cheyenne, Ashilee, Brock, MaKaela, Ryan, Marissa, Kataleena, Michael, Devante, Stephanie, and Brenda.

I am going to be a teacher.

The moment I knew it, I mean really knew it, was on Thursday after lunch when I was reading to the kids. They were gathered around my feet on the carpet, and I began to read them a new Junie B. Jones book. (If you don’t know Junie B. Jones, you should get to know her. She’s a very cool fictional kid.) Anyway, Junie B. (as she liked to be called) woke up one morning and decided that she would like to be called by a new name—Pinkie Gladys Gutzman. Pinkie, because pink is her favorite color, and Gladys Gutzman, because that is the cafeteria lady’s name (who she apparently thinks is really cool.) As Junie B. kept insisting to her parents and everyone else she encountered that they call her Pinkie Gladys Gutzman, I got tickled and couldn’t stop laughing as I was trying to read to the kids. The name Pinkie Gladys Gutzman, as well as my inability to quit laughing, set the kids off and we were all just sitting there together laughing. One qualification I’ve always had for my future job is that it has to be fun and meaningful. Right then, I couldn’t think of anywhere else I’d rather be having fun than with 19 giggling seven year-olds. That’s what clinched it.

I also just want to say what incredible cooperating teachers I have. They’re definitely a huge part of the reason that teaching seems really appealing to me as well. This isn’t just lipservice (because one of my teachers reads my blog,) but they really are great. There’s nowhere else I’d rather be. After hearing horror stories from friends who did their student teaching in previous semesters, I know that I’m so incredibly blessed to be with Mrs. Durrington and Mrs. Higgins.

I’ve wondered and prayed for years about what it is that I’m really supposed to be doing. I’ve changed my mind a lot, I’ve changed my direction somewhat, and at some points I’ve been completely clueless. Now, I finally feel as though I know for sure what I’m supposed to be doing. It’s strange to me that I should end up as a teacher. I was never the little girl that wanted to be a teacher when she grew up. When my cousin wanted me to play school with her, I absolutely hated it. I loved going to school, but I suppose I had much bigger aspirations for myself than being “just a teacher.” In fact, I can recall as a kindergartener toying with the idea that I would someday be a Dallas Cowboy Cheerleader. Wow. When my mom went back to teaching full time, I swore that I would NEVER be a teacher. I didn’t want to have to deal with all of the stuff she was dealing with. It’s interesting how the thing that I knew I would never be is exactly what I have been chosen to do. As a friend pointed out to me yesterday, it’s exciting to have reached the end of my college career and feel good about the major I chose, knowing that it’s actually what I want to do.

Since I’m a responsible student teacher who has joined a professional organization, I get a cool newsletter for students in education. In the last issue of my ATPE student newsletter, there was actually a column warning student teachers against blogging, especially about their student teaching experiences. Since I plan to have nothing negative to say, I’m not that worried about it, but I’ve decided I will not mention specific names when talking about the kids (other than the 19 reasons listed above for loving second grade.) These kids are absolutely precious. There’s one little boy that winks every time he talks to me. On Thursday, I started winking back. :)

I say all of these things, but I haven’t actually started teaching yet. Just hanging out, mostly, with a few teacherly responsibilities thrown in. On Tuesday I begin teaching math. I sure hope I still feel the same way I do now when the going gets tough! I have a feeling I will.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I knew the second I saw the way you naturally relate to kids that you should be a teacher...whether or not you would come to that decision yourself I didn't know. I'm glad that you feel confident with your decision because you will be a great teacher. You understand that it's just as important to meet their spiritual and emotional needs as well as their academic ones. We need more teachers like you! YAY!!
Kendra
P.S. Other great reasons to love second grade: the Willie run, the Steven wink, Stormi's fear of infertility, Alexis thinks you are not just pretty, but beautiful...etc.

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you are having a blast! Teaching is something you have to feel called to do, and I'm glad you have that calling! You will be an awesome teacher, I always knew you would be!!! Sometimes it does get tough, but in the end it is always VERY worth it! Good luck with math, it will be great!
Love you bunches,
Kasey

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you are having a blast! Teaching is something you have to feel called to do, and I'm glad you have that calling! You will be an awesome teacher, I always knew you would be!!! Sometimes it does get tough, but in the end it is always VERY worth it! Good luck with math, it will be great!
Love you bunches,
Kasey

RPorche said...

Your blog made me laugh, Jennifer. I'm pumped for you! Man--didn't take long for you to fall in love, eh?

Anonymous said...

Hey there. This is Josh Castle. Just wanted to say hey. I know I'll be seeing you a lot over the next couple of weeks, but if there's anything I can do for you, let me know.