Just wanted to share a funny little story about a couple of my second graders. On Friday, the kids were reading with partners from their phonics readers, which are these little books that we put together from their reading book that have a story using the words with certain phonetic patterns that we're working on that week. This week's story was "Sweet Pea the Black Sheep." All the children were scattered about the room reading to each other, and as I'm grading papers, I suddenly become aware of something that resembles singing coming from somewhere close by. I looked up to see two little girls singing the story out loud to each other. Imagine "Then Sweet Pea said to the other little sheep..." in a not-so-melodic second grade voice. As I watched one girl finish improvising her tune, the other started to sing hers. They sang about Sweet Pea with such passion! (Um, yeah.) I looked at the teacher and cracked up laughing. I suppose this story really isn't that funny if you don't actually know the little girls, but let me just tell you...I'm starting to worry about this teaching thing because I laugh at the kids CONSTANTLY! (And while that's okay in some situations, I'd venture to say that in most it's not.) Another little boy came up to them and asked them why they were singing the story and they told him it was beacause they like to sing. He seemed baffled and walked away and the girls kept right on "singing." I wish I were still able to be silly like that. It would be really fun, I think. It seemed like the girls were having a pretty good time.
This Saturday’s Recipes by The Pioneer Woman
6 years ago
2 comments:
"I tell you the truth, unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven." Matthew 18:3
Working with kids everyday blesses us with a reminder of the true meaning of this verse. Oh, for the boldness to sing with passion at any given moment....even if it baffles some people :)
~Kendra
By the way, don't ask me how thinking you're half cat fits in with the above verse! Hmmm.....
Post a Comment