Saturday, December 08, 2007

Well, here it is, folks. I promised you the recipe for the awesome potato casserole my aunt makes, and I'm going to throw in my other aunt's broccoli rice casserole recipe that I made this year as well. Our family does the traditional Thanksgiving dinner at Thanksgiving AND Christmas, so if your family is like mine, maybe you'll be able to try one of these recipes out for Christmas dinner. It's totally worth it, I promise!

Potato Casserole
1 lg. package of frozen cubed hash browns
1 medium chopped onion
1 stick of butter (I use light.)
1/2 t. salt
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 8 oz. carton sour cream
1 8 oz. jar cheese whiz

Break up hash browns and put in a large casserole dish. Mix onions, butter, salt, soup, sour cream, and cheese whiz in a saucepan over medium heat. After it is well mixed and melted, pour it over potatoes and mix together. Bake in a 350 degree oven for 45 minutes.


Broccoli Rice Casserole
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 8 oz. jar cheese whiz
1 stick of butter (I use light.)
1 pkg. chopped frozen broccoli
2-3 cups cooked white rice
block of cheddar cheese cut into spears
salt and pepper to taste

Put cooked rice and broccoli into a casserole dish and stir together. The heat from the rice will thaw the broccoli. Melt cheese whiz, butter, and soup in a pan. Pour mixture over rice and broccoli and mix together. Insert cheese spears around the dish evenly (see picture.) Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until bubbly in the middle.

Both of these recipes are dee-licious! Try it for Christmas or as a side dish to any home cooked meal! I promise you'll like it!


2 comments:

Britney K said...

Girl, you are nuts. Just say no to mice. I may invite Bailey over for the evening to do some hunting! :)
And the casseroles look great however not so much on my most appealing list these days. If it had pickles in it I'd be in!

Kelly | Fabulous K said...

I am making your potato casserole for our holiday pot luck at work. thx for the reciepe...I will let you know how it turns out. It sounds delish! :)

Kelly (fabulous k designs)