Wednesday, September 03, 2008

What a day!

I got a new student this morning. He's very sweet and follows directions well. When I went to pick my class up from PE, he was nowhere to be found. My mind, of course, immediately flashed to Channel 8 News (in High Definition) anchors John McCaa and Gloria Campos (with Brad Watson on location) telling the story. Fortunately, he'd just lined up with the wrong class and made his way out to the playground. We found him before the news van arrived- approximately two minutes after we lost him.

Everyday when I call the kids to line up for lunch, one of my little girls always tells me that she doesn't need to get her money because it's already in the cafeteria. (She's on free lunch.) Yesterday in a moment of annoyance, I very politely told her that I knew her money is in the cafeteria and that she doesn't need to tell me every day. Today, when I called her to line up for lunch, she said, "Mrs. Takala, you already know that my money is in the cafeteria." Thanks.

Another little boy (who happens to get in trouble quite a bit) told me that he hates kindergarten. I told him-not in these exact words- that if he would follow directions, he wouldn't get in trouble and then he would probably have more fun and like it better. He told me that he decided he was going to hate kindergarten the first time he found out about it. I told him that was his choice and that if he decided to hate it, that was fine. Five minutes later, he decided he loves kindergarten.

A little girl in my friend's class got her leg stuck between two bars out on the playground. As the PE teacher tried to help her get it out, she screamed, "But I don't want to die on the playground!"


Only two more days til the weekend!

3 comments:

annalee said...

ah, kindergarten entertainment!!! thanks for letting me live those days through you:)

Amy said...

Oh my goodness. I LOVE teacher stories. These made me laugh so hard that I had to read them to Andy and he laughed really hard, too!

Ellison said...

I freakin' love your stories! I really would love to observe your class!