Thursday, December 02, 2004

They like me! They really like me!

I almost beat the odds.

The student teaching supervisor told us at our very first meeting this year that it would be a roller coaster of emotions. For the first couple of weeks things would be great, then we would become totally overwhelmed and not know what to do, and finally, towards the end of the semester, we’d get it mostly figured out and the ride would be smooth. They told us to expect to cry a lot in frustration and to be exhausted all the time. When my personal supervisor came to observe me on several occasions, she asked me how I was hanging in there and if I’d cried yet. I hadn’t. Maybe I should’ve. Maybe the fact that I wasn’t overwhelmed and exhausted speaks badly on my part. Maybe I wasn’t doing a good enough job. Regardless, I was tough…until today. This week has been filled with lots of extra hugs and drawings of hearts that have faces, arms, and legs. I’ve felt the tears well up more than once. I knew that it was coming, and I was hoping to get it all out before the last day. It came, alright, but I doubt that it’s going to help me not cry tomorrow.

Today’s journal prompt was, “Dear Miss Walker.” So, in their journals, they wrote me letters. Towards the end of the day, I sat at the back of the room reading their journal entries and writing them back. I only had three journals left to read when it hit. Pretty hard. I cried two tissues worth. Fortunately, my hair is long and it’s a great face cover. I’ve used this secret weapon on several occasions. Thanks to my hair, and the fact that I was sitting at the back of the room the kids didn’t know. Anyway, I still beat the odds by not getting overwhelmed or terribly frustrated or exhausted, but in the end, I did cry. It’s not just the student teaching, though. It’s just this transition period in general. It’s tough, as most of you know.

I have one more day of student teaching left. I graduate a week from tomorrow. I have several job opportunities, but I’m just not sure that I’m ready for them. Anyway, just as I posted the kids original journal entries about me, I’m going to post their farewell notes to me as well. I’m leaving the original spellings, but I’ll translate in the cases where it’s not clear. Enjoy!



Dear Miss Walker...


I know you are leving tomarow. I will miss you very much win you leve. I will be very sad. I love you Miss Walker.

****
I hope you remember us all. I want you to take care of yourself.

****
I do not want you to leave us! I love you! I want you and Mrs. Durrington and Mrs. Higgins to teach me and the rest of the class.

****
You are the best teachar in the world.

****
I ben wonting too tell you thits in a lang time. (The following are icons and letters.) Eyeball Heart U F e a e. (I asked him about this, and he said it means "I love you for ever and ever.")

****
I'll mis you I don't want you t leve.

****
I will miss you! Why don't you teach at Bonham this is a good school.

****
I will miss you very much. I hope you can stay.

****
I do not want you to leve. I want you to stay.

****
I wish you didn't have to leve on Friday because I'll miss you.

****
I wish you a Merry Christmas and a happy new year. And Happy Hoily Days. (My theory is that she's so torn up about me leaving that she can't even mention it.)

****
I wish you didn't have to go you have been a great teacher you make us lif (laugh) so much. (This little girl also included in her letter to Santa that she doesn't want me to leave.)

****
You have been a great techere.



Thanks, kids. I love you, too!


1 comment:

RPorche said...

i wish you kuold b my teecher